Tasty Tuesday: French dip sandwiches

Well, howdy! It's my favorite blogging day, Tasty Tuesday! It's my favorite because I get to share with you a yummy new recipe that is making me quite happy. As usual, head on over and say hello to my girl Cassie, who I constantly encourage to keep posting her own recipes on the day she created.
I wasn't going to post this recipe until next week, because I have a bunch of delicious recipes to share from the Seasonal Dinner Party I hosted this past Saturday. However, one delicious Instagram photo and many requests for the recipe later, and here I am, writing it out. 

Like most of my recipes, this one comes with a little story. I, Adrian the happy girl, think that grocery shopping should come with a mandatory free snack before you begin. Raise your hand if you have gone to the store "just for yogurt" and walked out with a cart full of random stuff you have no idea what to do with? And heaven forbid you go to Target, where absolutely everything on the shelves calls your name and wants to just hop in your cart to do a little snuggling with you on the way home. 
Happens to me All. the. time. 
And that's what happened yesterday. I went to Target while I was hungry to "pick up cat food" and walked out with a cart load. I was even so determined to just get what I needed that I didn't grab a cart. Once my hands were full, I opted for a hand basket. Once that got heavy and I gave up all hope, I got a cart and loaded up. My local Target is a Super Target, so they have a whole grocery store complete with meat counter and bakery inside, so I like to do a lot of my grocery shopping there. I happened to get the bright idea that I wanted French dip sandwiches for dinner, so of course I made 400 passes of all the food aisles as I remembered what I would need. And this recipe was born.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Ingredients:
3lb beef roast, I used Top Round
12oz dark beer, I used Guinness, but realized later that Shiner Bock is dark and I had it in my fridge already. I'm not a beer drinker so I went for what I knew was dark.
2 cups water
1 tbsp beef flavored Better than Bullion {I had never heard of this until I researched recipes to model this on, you can use bullion cubes, or beef broth and skip the 2 cups water}
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
ground black pepper to taste, I used 1 tsp
crusty bread rolls, such as Hoagie rolls
sliced cheese such as provolone or Swiss

Directions:
  1. Trim any visible fat from your roast. Place in the crock pot.
  2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot. Cook on low for 8 hours, turning halfway through if you are home. I cooked mine on high for 4.5 hours and it was totally fine.
  3. Split your bread rolls open, spread with butter {or spray with I can't believe it's not butter spray, like I did} and toast in the oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes depending on how toasty you want it. 
  4. Slice meat and pile onto your bread. Top with cheese and pop back in the oven under the broiler to melt everything.
  5. Serve hot, with a side of the cooking juices in a small bowl. That would be the jus and it's fantastic for dipping, thus, French DIP sandwiches.

And voila, you have a delicious meal that was hardly any work at all. This would be a great recipe for St. Patrick's day, since I used Guinness! 
A few more tasty photos for you :)

◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 b happy girl is proudly powered by blogger.com