My anti-Vday treats

Billy and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day. 
I decided I hated the day back in high school, and would refuse to celebrate due to over commercialization, and the fact that I believe love should be shown every day, not just February 14. I also do not really celebrate anniversaries other than to acknowledge the milestone. 
I'm just weird like that.

When Billy learned this about me, he was thrilled. How many guys can say their girl doesn't want flowers, or any special gestures, on the most notorious day of the year for such things? Now, I will never say no to some chocolate, so sometimes Billy and I will split a bag of Hershey's kisses, or other simple but tasty treat and call it a day. 

Today is no exception! We didn't even mention Vday to each other before Billy left for work, and I am happily in my comfy pants on the couch waiting for him to get home. I did go on a hike, paint my finger and toe nails this fantastic gun metal grey color by Orly called Sea Gurl, and watched a lot of Big Bang Theory. Other than that, no special plans here! 

I did, however, make a little tasty treat for my hard working man. Nothing says I love you like chocolate and peanut butter, right? So I made peanut butter and chocolate rice krispy treats. And honestly? I'm having a hard time not gobbling them all up myself before my love gets home!

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats
{recipe and photo via}
Ingredients: 
  • 6 tbsp butter {little more than half a stick}
  • 1 10oz bag of marshmallows
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 10oz chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp butter
Directions:
Heat 6 tbsps of butter in a large pot over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add vanilla and peanut butter, stirring until completely mixed in. Dump in the cereal and stir to coat evenly with peanut butter mixture. Once the cereal is combined, pour into a buttered 13x9 baking dish, pressing down gently to smooth the top of the treats. Add chocolate chips and butter to medium sized microwavable bowl, then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until melted, making sure to stir the chocolate between each round in the microwave. Pour the chocolate over the top of the treats, using a spoon to distribute evenly over the top. Let cool for about half an hour, then cut into squares and enjoy your wonderful peanut butter and chocolate treat! 

I also happened to make Italian Parmesan chicken for dinner! It's easy peasy, and really quite delicious.
Italian Parmesan Chicken
Ingredients:
  • 1 packet of Italian dressing mix
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder {or garlic salt in my case, since I was out of garlic powder}
  • 1 lb of chicken breast {or tenders, which is what I used}
Directions:
Heat oven to 400F. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil, then spray with non-stick spray. In a medium dish, combine Italian dressing mix, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Rinse your chicken breast, then dip in the cheese mixture, pressing each side down until fully coated. Place chicken on cookie sheet, then bake for 20 minutes. Turn your oven to broil and heat for 5 more minutes to make your chicken crispy and golden brown. You can serve these with marinara sauce, or any other sauce you have a hankering for, or eat them dry as I did. Either way you will love them!

If you happen to celebrate Valentine's Day, how was it?! What were your special plans? Any fun gifts? Did you cook a nice meal, or go out to dinner somewhere fancy? 
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 b happy girl is proudly powered by blogger.com