Weekend recap, the late Monday edition

Well, hello there! Last week I had a good blog showing of posting 3 days in a row, then mysteriously forgot about my blog the rest of the week. Pretty typical around these parts, so if you are new, welcome, and remember that I rarely blog on a daily basis ;)

It's nearly midnight here on the West Coast, but I am trying to make my Monday post count while browsing pinterest, so here goes nothing. 

I hope everyone had a lovely Easter holiday! I really enjoyed spending time with family, eating a huge brunch, playing with my nephew Tyler at the park, taking a two hour nap, visiting with my mom, reading, and spending a rare Sunday away from the salon. My days off are in the middle of the week, so it can be tough to coordinate hang out time with family and friends. 

Of course I made a few recipes to bring to Billy's folks' house to contribute to brunch and the day of snacking. I made a ham and cheese sandwich casserole thing based on this recipe. I ended up using pan de leche bread, black forest ham, and provolone cheese, while omitting the onions and using spicy brown mustard in the sauce. It was a definite hit as a late afternoon lunch. 
I then made a not quite vegan version of these rocky road rice krispy bars found here. I didn't use graham crackers, but I did use Enjoy Life chocolate chips, peanut butter, rice krispies, coconut oil, and regular marshmallows. Maybe it was because I used a little too much coconut oil, but I found these bars are best served chilled, so keep them in the fridge until you want to eat them or risk messy hands. Since Billy isn't a coconut flavor fan, he didn't want to help me eat these bars, so I took them to work and left them in the fridge with a note that said "please enjoy!" so I wouldn't eat them all myself! Way to go, Adrian!
Would you like to know something amazing? This once sugar addict didn't eat a single piece of chocolate {other than one of the bars above} yesterday! Not one Reese's egg, or chocolate bunny was consumed. I did have one small sugar cookie, and a small handful of overly sweet jelly beans, but managed to not even be tempted by the rest. I mean, the Veggie Tales song about chocolate bunnies was so an accurate summation of my life at one point, that when I was under anesthesia for my first spinal fusion in 8th grade, I cracked people up by singing the line "I don't want no pickles, I don't want no honey, just give me a plate and a fork and the bunny...the bunny, the bunny, ooh I want the bunny!" And yet when my mom offered me a chocolate covered marshmallow bunny, an absolute favorite of mine, I turned it down! Now, I wouldn't consider myself cured of my sugar addiction or anything, but this is big!

Now, for your viewing pleasure, I present to you a silly song from my Christian raised childhood that still cracks me up!

◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 b happy girl is proudly powered by blogger.com