Texas bound?

Hola chicas, buenos noches! It's Tuesday night and I am catching up on TV with my love, baking a no sugar added, no oil, gluten free banana bread. Wish me luck on that one, I don't have high hopes, but I do have a hankering for lots of bananas. Since my last post was a Tasty Tuesday banana bread post, I'll save you the repeat, and talk about something else that's been on my mind recently: Texas.
As Billy wrote in my birthday guest post, we have been considering a move to Texas. In December, it was to San Antonio. Billy didn't end up getting that position, but at the end of January, a new opportunity was presented. There is a brand new Costco store being built in Sugar Land, an affluent suburb of Houston, that will open in July. A new store means so many things; what Billy and I see as the biggest draw is that he could essentially build his department and train his employees to be exactly what he wanted. No stepping into an established department where he would have to correct bad learned practices and behaviors or deal with resentment of the new manager. It would be his department.
A management position is a huge jump in responsibility and position for Billy. However, he consistently leads in sales and more than meets their objectives, and has been groomed to be a manager since he started over 3 years ago, so this is a great opportunity for him. Doubling his income in a place that is 30-40% less expensive than where we live now is also appealing.
A rendering of the new Sugar Land Costco location via Telfair life
It's also freaking scary for us both to even consider. 

Just on Billy's end, he would be moving away from his immediate family, whom he is incredibly close with, and suffers from homesickness if he doesn't see them every few weeks. To be several thousand miles away from them, instead of 10 minutes away, would be tough. We would have to plan far in advance for when we would travel home, and it would be a bit of a struggle to make that as often as we both would like. 
As for me, I would be starting over, completely. The clientele I have built up and the contacts I have made over the last 7 years were hard earned and trying to re-do all of that won't be easy. I've never lived anywhere else. San Jose is my home, my family is here, my friends all live here, and I know the area so very well. It's intimidating to imagine moving across the country to a place where we don't know a soul, and have to start all over.

The scariest part? Should Billy get the job and be transferred to Sugar Land, he would be going out there as early as May or June. Me? I have weddings booked steady through the end of August, with weddings every other week or so through November. The earliest I could move to Texas? September. A four month separation would be awful. You can believe I've looked at flights, and a $500 booty call to visit my love while we are separated ain't cheap.

Despite all of the scary parts of a possible move across the country, I have been incredibly optimistic! I have been the one pushing Billy to get his recommendation letters from his department manager and the warehouse manager {both were so glowing and wonderful!}. I'm the one asking him every day if everything is all set and ready to be mailed in. I'm on realty sites daily, scouting out the market and dreaming of the homes we could own. I am the one who ordered the relocation guide for the county, reading all 65 pages of it, and I researched the area, finding out the history and learning as much as I can about our possible new home.

I am willing to do all of this is because I am 110% committed to supporting my husband in this endeavor. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is being with my hubby. He's my best friend, and I can do anything with him by my side. The life we could create for ourselves in Texas far exceeds anything we could make here in the Bay Area. Buy a great big house and pay less for a mortgage than we do for rent on our one bedroom apartment? We have our pick of any number of beautiful homes. Save for retirement because we won't be strapped for cash and retiring at 65 and living like kings? No problem. If we one day decided we actually want children? We could afford it.  That all just blows my mind.

I will miss the beautiful Bay Area with it's multitude of amenities, and  proximity to, well, everything wonderful, and the amazing weather we have year round. Moving away doesn't mean we can never come back, or at least visit though. I can get my California fill on those trips to visit family and see friends. I will really miss this little dude, but he already can use an iPad better than I can, and likes to video chat with Billy, so I know we will still "see" him regularly if we leave.
Billy's transfer application went in today. We have no idea when we will hear back about it, so please keep your fingers crossed for us, we need patience and positivity! You better believe I will be keeping you all updated on this, getting it or not. 
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 b happy girl is proudly powered by blogger.com